Classical music is a genre that has remained relevant throughout the centuries and has inspired generations of composers and musicians. From the great masters such as Beethoven and Mozart to more contemporary composers such as John Williams, classical music has left and continues to leave an indelible mark on the history of music.
In the newly released Apple Music Classical, we can find a wide variety of classical songs from different eras and styles. The platform offers unlimited access to the world’s largest classical music catalog (over 5 million tracks), including both new releases and great masterpieces and thousands of exclusive albums. From all this, let’s compile the 12 iconic songs of classical music that we can already enjoy on the platform.
12 pieces to celebrate classical music
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 “Choral”: Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony is one of the most famous and popular works of classical music. The fourth movement, known as “Ode to Joy”, is especially known for its final chorus that sings the lyrics of Friedrich Schiller’s poem of the same name.
- Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a: The Nutcracker is a two-act ballet that has become one of the most popular and beloved works in the classical repertoire. The suite includes some of the ballet’s most famous melodies, such as the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy and the Russian Dance.
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67: Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony is one of the best known and most recognized works in classical music. The famous “ta-ta-ta-ta-taaa” motif that opens the symphony has become one of the most recognizable themes in Western music.
- Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake Suite, Op. 20a: Swan Lake is another classical ballet that has gained popularity worldwide. The suite includes some of the most famous melodies of the ballet, such as the main theme of the white swan and the black swan.
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 27 No. 2 “Moonlight”: Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No. 14 is a well-known and popular work in the piano repertoire. The first movement, known as “Moonlight”, is especially known for its calm and melancholic atmosphere.
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 74 “Pathétique”: Tchaikovsky’s Sixth Symphony is an emotionally intense and moving work that has gained worldwide popularity. The last movement is particularly moving and has become one of the most moving finales in classical music.
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F Major, Op. 68 “Pastoral”: Beethoven’s Sixth Symphony is a pastoral work celebrating nature and the countryside. Each of the five movements represents a different aspect of the rural landscape.
- Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture: The Romeo and Juliet Overture is an orchestral work inspired by Shakespeare’s famous tragedy. The overture features some of the most emotional and dramatic themes in the orchestral repertoire.
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73 “Emperor”: Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 5 is a masterpiece of the piano and orchestral repertoire. The first movement presents a majestic theme that has become a benchmark and clearly a standard in classical music.
- Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto is a virtuosic and emotionally intense work that has gained worldwide popularity since its premiere in 1881.
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92: Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony is a vibrant and energetic work that has gained worldwide popularity for what it is able to convey from the first minutes. It was premiered in 1813.
- Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 23: a piece that begins with a majestic piano theme that is repeated several times throughout the movement and has become one of the famous composer’s most charismatic themes.
Classical music is a genre that has transcended through the centuries. Although it may seem a distant genre in time, classical music is accessible to everyone and we can enjoy it in movies as well as in concerts. While Duolingo would be working on a music app, in Apple Music Classical, we can find a lot of iconic pieces that allow us to explore the richness and beauty of this musical genre in the easiest way.